Sunday, April 1, 2012

Tutoring

So in January I went to the police station to get my Visa taken care of. A police man called me into his office and (in not so many words) asked me to tutor him. I said sure and smiled not expecting to get a call because many people ask, but no one usually means it. Last week I get a call to go to the principal's office. I have no idea who the principal is, let alone where his office is, so one of the Chinese teachers took me there. I really thought I was in trouble.

I get in there and there are a bunch of people just laughing and speaking Chinese. A man stands up and speaks to me in Chinese. It is the police man. Oh no. Another woman was there and asks me if I could tutor three children at the same time. I laugh and say of course because I am so happy I am not in trouble ( I don't know what i would be in trouble for, I just have never been called to the principal's office.) So now, I am tutoring the police man's child and two other children.

So fast forward to last night. I meet the children and they are really cute. I was very nervous because I had no idea what their English level would be. It was okay. Better than I anticipated.  So we went to the classroom and the parents stayed and watched for the full two hours. Seriously, that was not fun. I liked the kids a lot, but having the parents there made me feel really weird. It makes sense that they want to make sure that their money is being well spent, but I was not a fan.

It was a success though because they will be back the same time next week. Hopefully without the parents staying for the full two hours.

Well, I have two more classes today and then I am off to Ningbo. Apparently China's largest theme park is there. I am thinking that could be a good time. I'll have to see if Janice wants to do it. Otherwise I will just be at the beach and mountains, which I am definitely not complaining about. :)

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment