Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Settling in.

So, now that I have been here over a week and a half, I feel like I have more of a routine. It is really interesting to me that it feels so normal to be here. Yesterday I went outside to play frisbee with Brady, and the kids had never really seen a frisbee before, so it was a really funny experience. If you threw the disc towards them, they would yell and all try and catch it at the same time. I was very humorous. Some students were super good though, so I think Brady is pretty pumped about that. While we were throwing the disc around, I noticed some students were playing soccer. They were part of the international portion of the school, so I knew that they spoke at least a little english. I asked if I could play and they let me! It was super fun/funny. The kids are so cute it is ridiculous. If you kick the ball, every single person will go running toward it, and all of the girls stop before they are going to kick the ball. It was a blast to be a part of! The boys got a little more into it, well, at least as into it as you can be while wearing jeans and blazers. Students here don't change when they are going to work out. They play in their clothes that they wore to school and then complain about being hot. Very funny to me.

Just as I was getting used to my schedule, it has been changed. It has been nice because we have had about half of the hours that we were supposed to, so I have enjoyed that. Starting next week though, we will be full time. We had a department meeting today about Brady and I switching around our schedule. I am now responsible for the speaking and writing portion of their studies in relation to the IELTS. In China, in order to go to University anywhere else, you have to pass a huge test, IELTS, so I am preparing them for that. Brady is going to finish up what we have been doing, SuperGoal, and after that he is going to teach them math and science, which would be super difficult to do when it is not their first language. I really can't imagine.
I am excited that we each have our own thing to do now, it will be so much easier for lesson plans and prepping our stuff. Aaanddd I get to still teach my favorite class. Three of the cutest girls you will ever meet. We all sit at a table together and go through work books. They are so bright and fun that we have a blast together. I will take a pic soon and show you them!

This weekend we have off, so who knows what we will do? Maybe go to Hangzhou or Shaoxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment