Saturday, October 1, 2011

Break Time!

So today is the first day of the National Holiday. As far as I can tell, its like a fall-break, I don't think there is a cultural holiday or anything like that. We have off until next saturday which is really nice. Today, the new Chemistry/Math teacher comes from Pakistan. I am excited to meet him. It will be nice to have all the teachers here. And, now I won't be the new person, so that is also good! All the foreign teachers are going out to a lunch tomorrow, so that should be fun as well.
Classes have been going really well. I teach IELTS (the exam to go to school in other countries) to two grades. So my main goal is to get them to speak as much english as possible and correct the grammar and teach them new words and such. One grade only has 3 girls in it, they are the "juniors" of the school.  I really enjoy them. Then there are the seniors, who have 11 students. They have a lot of fun and get a little rambunctious at times, but they are really fun to work with. The last class is A-level. I believe they are the smarter sophomore level students, so they get a ton of homework and kind of have attitudes, but I enjoy them nonetheless. The content for A-level is the least fun to work with, so I am trying to find ways to make my lesson plans more exciting. I think one of my biggest challenges in teaching is the fact that in each class, there are all different levels of students. Some students can speak english really well, and others find it hard to piece together a sentence. It is hard finding the right pace: challenging the students that already understand and know the information, while not leaving anyone behind. I think this will be a continual problem that I work on.
Last night, three of the Philippine teachers were making dinner and invited Brady and I to join. It was super good and a nice relaxing night. I went to bed around 10:30 but woke up to really loud noises at about 3:30am. I look out my window and there are TONS of fireworks going off. Maybe it is for the national holiday? or maybe just because its friday. I will never know, but it was pretty to see. A little confusing at 3:30 in the morning too.
It has been very rainy here. I believe it has rained everyday this week except for one. Today there is a breach in the rain as well, so I am doing some long awaited laundry. We dry our clothes outside, so the weather is a key factor in when to do laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment