Friday, December 23, 2011

Chinese Christmas parties.

I know it my last post I talked about how it was odd that they do Christmas trees and decorations, but Christmas parties are even more odd.
First, this afternoon, I went to the Kindergarden Christmas show. My roommate is a teacher there, so her brother and I went to watch. They told the whole story of Jesus and it was really ALLL about Jesus. I was really perplexed by this. Don't get me wrong, I think it is great, but there were muslims and hindus in the performance. I asked my roommate about this, and she just laughed and said the parents had no idea what was going on. They just liked seeing their kids on stage. It is interesting to me that this communist country can have way more said about Jesus in school that American schools ever could. Granted, maybe if it was in Chinese people would be upset, but America has much stricter regulations on this stuff. Kind of crazy. What else was funny is that the MC would randomly be like, "everyone stand!" or "everyone on your feet!" and only a few of us would stand. I thought it was humorous because no one knew what was going on, so slowly people started to stand. haha that is probably me every day and I am not aware of it.

Then, tonight I went to another Chinese Christmas party put on by another school. I showed up with my boss and another foreign teacher and his wife. We got to sit in the front row, which was pretty fun. Brady was actually the host of the event. It is still humorous to me that he was the host, when he has no relation to the school or anyone that goes there, whatsoever. It was a fun opportunity and he did a nice job though! The party was basically a talent show. The acts were all in Chinese, and there were 16 different acts. There was one English Christmas song, and other than that everything was Chinese and not related to Christmas at all. There was a Chinese santa though. The was a little boring to me because I didn't understand anything that was going on, but the Chinese people seemed to enjoyed it, so that is good. The funniest act to me was one that was entitled "Jazz music." I thought it would be a saxophone player or something. Nope, it was a girl with super provocative clothing dancing like she was in an american music video. I just got a kick that it was labeled as Jazz music.

Well, I am off to skype, and then go to sleep. When I wake up it will be Christmas Eve!

1 comment:

  1. you are so great steph! i love your updates:):):):)

    ReplyDelete