Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas time in Keqiao City

I wish it would snow, but it is not cold enough here to snow. Oh well, apparently you can buy fake snow here, so maybe I'll get some for Christmas.
I think its a little funny they celebrate Christmas here. Very few people, if any, believe in Jesus, but stores want to capitalize  on another holiday so people will spend money. They have Christmas trees at all the malls and shopping centers, and sometimes even a weird santa next to it.
The kids have really been getting into the "Christmas spirit." I have been showing them a christmas song a day, and they seem to really be enjoying that. I think I am enjoying it more. It is like a little piece of home. Two of my classes have gone all out for Christmas decorations. One is really classy and neatly decorated, and the other is like walking into the jungle. The amount of craziness in the room is ALMOST too much for me to handle.
A few days ago, some of the senior students asked Brady and I to be in their "drama" type thing. Our parts were pretty easy to learn. Apparently it is a school-wide talent show. We had try-outs tonight. It was fun because it seemed like all my students were there, so I felt like I knew a lot of people! That is the first time that I have walked somewhere and knew a bunch of people, so that was really fun for me. Brady and I are a little confused as to what the play about. We are basically the only English parts, but we do hear the word Obama a few times. Maybe they are making fun of us? America? One of them tried to tell me that Kevin, one of our students, is saying that Obama is his friend. Seems a little ridiculous. Brady had to speak a little Chinese at one point, and the crowd went WILD. they loved it. It was fun to see!
Apparently on Christmas eve, they eat apples to bring them peace. So that will be something funny to do on Christmas Eve. It seems like this will be a very busy weekend, but very enjoyable nonetheless! I am excited for the two Christmas parties we have this weekend.
I pulled my bosses name for secret santa. I was perplexed when thinking about what to get an older Chinese man that seems to have everything he wants. So I got him tea. He gave Brady and I some tea, that was very different tasting from anything I had ever tried, so I got him some tea that the sales lady told me older men like. Hopefully he likes it!

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment